Wananavu, Fiji: the perfect place to write
The paradox that one must travel far to reach deep within is a cliché. But familiarity can anaesthetize creativity, which is why I take people away from their desks, their families and their obligations so that new horizons open, not just visually, but on the page.
For years, I’ve been on a mission to find a sanctuary that offers all the right conditions conducive to writing, a place where all things seem possible.
In Wananavu, (which means ‘awesome,’ ‘fantastic’ and ‘brilliant’ in the vernacular) a resort on Fiji’s main island at Viti Levu’s most northern point, all my exacting conditions for a writing retreat meet – enhanced by the generosity of Fijian hospitality.
Each writer has ‘a room of her own.’
The Villa Vanua gives us a glorious space for our daily writing workshops with soul-stretching views of the ocean.
The sumptuous tropical gardens offer time out in nature.
Some writers spend afternoons snorkelling and kayaking; others languish in the hammocks on the beachfront with their journals. After a tough day of writing, some opt for spa treatments.
Without TV’s or radios in the bures to distract us, writers connect deeply with their stories. Evenings are spent sipping cocktail sundowners from the bar as we wait for the nightly torch-lighting ritual, followed by the delicious (enormous) meals.
In such a place, the writing comes easily. It’s leaving that’s hard.
Dates, Venue and Inclusions
We have not finalized dates for our 2018 writing retreat. Please email email@example.com to receive first notification of when our next retreat will take place.
Where: Wananavu, Fiji
Your investment in this trip includes:
- 6 nights’ accommodation in a bure of your choice (ocean view, beachfront or honeymoon);
- return Nadi airport transfers (a 2-3 hour drive);
- welcome drink and cold towel on arrival;
- meal plan (breakfast, 2 course lunch and 3 course dinner);
- 15-20 hours of writing facilitation in a small group with as much personal attention as you need;
- workshop materials (not including stationery);
- morning tea during writing workshops – fruits, muffins, fruit juice, coffee/tea;
- snorkelling and kayaking equipment;
- all government taxes.
What’s NOT included:
- international airfare;
- travel insurance;
- extra food, drinks, cocktails that are not part of the 3 meal plan per day;
- optional activities;
- tips for staff, postage, phone-calls (anything that is personal use);
For more information, an application and registration form including costs please email our team firstname.lastname@example.org